TOP Legacy Project
The University of Michigan and the University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) have partnered to preserve TOP's
legacy. At Michigan, the School of Information and the Inter-university
Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), have
the lead. ICPSR maintains and provides access to a vast archive
of social science data for research and instruction, and offers
training in quantitative methods to facilitate effective data
use. At UIUC, the Graduate
School of Library and Information Science's Inquiry Lab (iLab)
(http://ilabs.inquiry.uiuc.edu/ilab/top/ provides the hub for
access to the TOP legacy, as well as communication and collaboration
about the data. The TOP Legacy Project activities include:
- preserving the TOP website describing projects and giving
- key-word coding of 606 TOP project abstracts;
- archiving physical materials (video, audio, multimedia);
- digitizing paper, video and audio materials;
- extracting, and converting to open source, projects in
initial, quarterly, and final reports; and
- geocoding of TOP projects and linking with associated
US census data.
Several publications are planned, as well as the online resources.
For more information, contact Dr.
Kate Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.