NTIA’s Office of Public Safety Communications (OPSC) oversees the implementation of NTIA’s responsibilities under the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012. It also supports the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet Authority) with support functions with its efforts to deploy, operate, and maintain the nationwide public safety broadband network.
OPSC oversees the State and Local Implementation Grant Program (SLIGP) 2.0, which assists regional, state, local, and tribal entities as they continue to plan for the implementation of the nationwide public safety broadband network, also known as FirstNet. This is a follow-on program using recovered funds from the State and Local Implementation Grant Program that ended in February 2018. NTIA awarded $33.3 million to 46 States and Territories in 2018 and has rolling end dates through March 2021.
NTIA, through OPSC, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) awarded $109,250,000 of new funding for the 911 Grant Program to upgrade public safety answering points (PSAPs) to NG911 capabilities. Specifically, the 911 Grant Program will provide financial assistance to PSAPs to help fund their migration to IP-enabled emergency networks; adoption of NG911 services and applications, interconnection with emergency response organizations; and training of public safety personnel in 911 services.
OPSC manages FirstNet implementation activities on behalf of the Commerce Department and NTIA. These include:
- Conducting an annual FirstNet Authority fee review and approval
- Soliciting and vetting candidates for the FirstNet Authority Board on behalf of Secretary of Commerce
- Facilitating the FirstNet Authority quarterly monitoring cycle, including FirstNet Review Group meetings (Senior Departmental Leadership Briefing) and Quarterly Implementation Reviews (NTIA Leadership)
- Facilitating and maintaining Standard Operating Procedures regarding NTIA and FirstNet Authority coordination.
- Overseeing DOC Annual Performance Progress Reporting (APPR) on Strategic Objective 3.4, Deploy Public Safety Broadband
OPSC Leadership Directory
Associate Administrator: Marsha MacBride
Deputy Associate Administrator: Mike Dame
Office of Public Safety Communications
National Telecommunications & Information Administration
U.S. Department of Commerce
1401 Constitution Ave., N.W., Room 7324
Washington, DC 20230
Phone: (202) 482-5802