The Radio Conference Subcommittee (RCS), chaired by NTIA, shall have as its normal function the carrying out of those functions given in Article II that relate to preparing for International Telecommunication Union (ITU) conferences, including the development of recommended U.S. proposals and positions. In the furtherance of the above, on behalf of the IRAC and after coordination with the Deputy Associate Administrator for Planning and Policy, Office of Spectrum Management, the RCS shall undertake preparatory work relating to international radio conferences.
- Develop recommended proposals for consideration by the Inter-American Telecommunications Commission (CITEL);
- Maintain close liaison with related conference preparatory activities of the United States for the ITU Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) including the ITU-R Conference Preparatory Meetings held prior to Radiocommunication Conferences;
- Coordinate with other U.S. groups considering radio conferences related issues within other international and regional organizations such as the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, the European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations, the International Maritime Organization, the International Civil Aeronautics Organization, the World Meteorological Organization, and the Asia-Pacific Telecommunity;
Take into account:
- Current and planned national and international frequency uses, and the optimum placement of radio services with a view to the most effective use of spectrum in the overall national interest;
- The anticipated needs of all radiocommunication services at various points in the future;
- New developments in existing services;
- New techniques, the application of which may require revision of regulations concerning radio frequency matter; and,
- New services for which the current regulations makes no provisions.
- Provide a forum for information sharing and discussion of preparatory activities, including when necessary, the development of federally recommended U.S. proposals and positions, related to ITU Plenipotentiary Conferences, ITU Radiocommunication Assembly, ITU Council as it pertains to matters involving radiocommunications, the Radiocommunication Advisory Group, and the Radio Regulations Board